You can use Walmart in two ways for dropshipping.
- As a marketplace to list your dropshipping products
- As a supplier to source your dropshipping products
Listing your products on Walmart is more popular than using it as a supplier.
We list our dropshipping products on Walmart’s marketplace. This has helped increase our exposure and sales.
It’s easy to list your dropshipping products on Walmart. Especially if your store is built on Shopify. Shopify has a tool that adds your listings to Walmart. So, you can manage your Walmart orders on Shopify.
In this article, we’ll look at both options so you can decide which is best for you.
Let’s get started.
- Walmart is one of the biggest online retailers in the US. If you choose to use Walmart to sell your products, you have a huge existing audience of loyal customers.
- If you sell on Shopify already, you can use an app like Shopify Marketplace Connect. This links your Shopify listings with Walmart’s marketplace.
- You can source products from Walmart. And sell them in your own store or marketplace. To do this, you need to use an automation tool like AutoDS.
What Is Walmart Dropshipping?
As we saw in the introduction, there are two ways to use Walmart for dropshipping.
Option 1 - Dropship on Walmart’s Marketplace
Dropshipping on Walmart is when you sell products that you don’t own on the Walmart marketplace.
Walmart has two options for selling on its marketplace.
- Drop Ship Vendor (DSV) - A DSV seller ships items directly to the customer. This is the option we use and that we’ll explore in this article.
- Warehouse Supplier - A Warehouse Supplier is a seller who ships items to Walmart’s warehouse. Walmart stores the inventory and packages and ships the orders directly to customers.
Can I Dropship on Walmart?
Yes, Walmart allows you to list your dropshipping products on its marketplace.
However, you need an existing sales history. So, it’s not an option for new sellers. You have to have an existing store or sell on another marketplace like Amazon or eBay before you join.
How Do I Dropship on Walmart’s Marketplace?
To dropship on Walmart, you’ll need to sign up for the Walmart Marketplace and list your products. When a customer orders your product from Walmart, you will contact your supplier or manufacturer. The supplier or manufacturer will ship the orders directly to the customer.
If you sell on Shopify already, you can add your Shopify listings to Walmart’s Marketplace.
To do this, sign up for Walmart Marketplace. Then, install a tool like Shopify Marketplace Connect to your Shopify store. This allows you to link your Shopify listings with Walmart Marketplace. You can then manage your Walmart orders easily from your Shopify account.
We’ll cover exactly how to dropship on Walmart in the How To section below.
Should I Dropship on Walmart?
Walmart has grown to become the largest retailer globally  and is one of the most well-known American brands. 90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Walmart. It is the go-to destination for affordable prices.
Therefore, it has a huge audience of loyal customers.
Listing your products on Walmart gives your business instant visibility. This can help generate sales.
However, it is only an option for experienced sellers with US or Canadian businesses.
We can look at the pros and cons to help you decide if Walmart is the right place to list your dropshipping products.
Pros of Dropshipping on Walmart’s Marketplace
- An existing audience of millions of loyal customers.
- Trusted marketplace with pre-vetted sellers, which helps encourage customers to buy.
- Possible to manage through your Shopify account.
- Sellers tools to boost sales. Including the Review Accelerator Program, Repricer, and Sponsored Products.
- If you want to move away from the dropshipping model, Walmart offers fulfillment services. This allows you to send inventory to Walmart’s warehouses. Walmart then handles the fulfillment of your orders to customers.
- No listing fees or monthly costs
Cons of Dropshipping on Walmart’s Marketplace
- Difficult for international sellers. You need a US business number or have your business incorporated in Canada.
- It is not suitable for new sellers. You need a history of sales on either your own e-commerce store or an alternative marketplace.
- Limited contact with customers.
- Difficult to establish yourself as a brand compared to selling on your own website.
- Referral fees for every sale.
Option 2 - Dropship Walmart Products
Dropshipping Walmart products is when you source products from Walmart’s marketplace. You then list them on your own website or an alternative marketplace, like Amazon or eBay.
Can I Dropship Walmart Products?
Walmart isn’t clear if you’re permitted to dropship its products directly to customers.
The terms of service state that it can limit the quantity of products purchased per person, per household, or per order for any reason. It also reserves the right to prohibit sales to dealers or resellers.
For this reason, we wouldn’t recommend manually fulfilling your dropshipping orders from Walmart.
However, there are legitimate ways to use Walmart as your dropshipping supplier.
AutoDS is a dropshipping automation tool that uses Walmart as a supplier. This allows you to sell Walmart products on Shopify, Facebook, Etsy, WooCommerce, eBay, Amazon, or Wix.
How Do I Dropship Walmart Products?
If you want to dropship Walmart products, we recommend using AutoDS.
Sign up for the platform or marketplace where you want to sell Walmart products.
Then, join AutoDS.
AutoDS allows you to look through Walmart’s products. When you find a product to list, you can import it to your store. AutoDS also allows you to automate the fulfillment process.
We’ll look at this in more depth in the How To section below.
Should I Dropship Walmart Products?
Walmart is a discounted retailer. Its online site lists millions of products from different sellers.
The affordable prices and variety of products make it a good place to source your dropshipping products.
However, there are some potential issues. Such as the risk of Walmart canceling resellers' orders and that you can only ship to US addresses.
Therefore, Walmart won’t be the best place for everyone to source their products from.
We can look at the pros and cons of sourcing your products from Walmart to help you decide if it’s the right option for you.
Pros of Dropshipping Walmart Products
- Fast shipping from the US
- Free shipping on most orders
- Can use AutoDS to automate your fulfillment
- Affordable prices
- Can join Walmart+ for free shipping and other benefits
Cons of Dropshipping Walmart Products
- Only suitable for selling to US customers
- Low margins as you’re paying retail price
- Cannot confirm if you are permitted to dropship products directly to customers. You can buy and resell Walmart products, and AutoDS has Walmart as a supplier. So you can dropship Walmart products on certain platforms.
Is Dropshipping On Walmart Profitable?
Absolutely. If you find the right product, you can generate profit by dropshipping on Walmart.
Walmart is a huge marketplace with many existing customers actively looking to spend.
It is also free to list on. There are no setup costs or monthly subscriptions required. When you make a sale, you’ll be charged a referral fee ranging from 6-15%.
How To Dropship On Walmart
In this section, we’ll explore how to sell your dropshipping products on Walmart’s marketplace.
If you haven’t got time right now to read each step, here is a quick overview:
1. Find a product to sell on Walmart.
2. Find a supplier based in the US from which you can source the product.
3. Apply to Walmart Marketplace. Create your listings. Decide how you want to fulfill your orders.
Note: If you have a Shopify store already, you can manage Walmart orders from here. Or you can do it manually.
4. Use Walmart Connect to advertise your products.
5. Analyze and optimize your business to increase profits.
1. Product Research
If it’s Walmart you want to sell on, it makes sense to start your product research on Walmart.
These are a few of our favorite ways to find winning products to sell on Walmart:
If you click on the search bar, Walmart has several trending products. Customers can quickly find what they’re looking for from this section.
We can look at the trending products to help us find products that are popular, selling well, and in demand.
We can investigate these trending suggestions to see if any could be winners for our store.
Autocomplete Search Bar
Type a word into Walmart’s search bar. Walmart will then suggest products. This is designed to help customers find the products they’re looking for.
These suggestions can help us find products that have high demand. We can research these products to see if any meet our winning criteria.
We can look at product reviews to help us find what customers want. They can tell us what customers are looking for and what features don’t meet their expectations.
We can use this information to identify gaps in the market and work out how to beat our competition.
Product Research Tool
There are Walmart-specific product research tools. These uncover hidden data to help you find winning products.
Helium 10 is the best Walmart product research tool available.
It started as an Amazon research tool. And in 2022, it launched the Walmart product research tool.
Helium 10 is a paid platform with plans starting at $29 per month. However, to access advanced Walmart insights, you need a Diamond plan. The Diamond plan costs $229 per month when paid annually.
With a Diamond plan, you can use the Xray feature. This shows you the sales and revenue Walmart sellers are making.
It also gives you access to the Cerebro feature, which is a keyword research tool. It shows you how many people are searching for specific keywords and how competitive they are.
However, to sell on Walmart, you need an existing sales history. And we recommend selling on Walmart through Shopify.
Therefore, we recommend using a more diverse product research tool, like Dropship.
Dropship uncovers hidden Shopify store data. You can see a store’s sales, revenue, profit, products, ads, listings, copy, engagement, and much more.
Check out Dropship’s tools for free for seven days using the trial.
2. Source Products and Find Suppliers
Now you’ve found a winning product, it’s time to find a supplier to source it from.
There are tons of different places you can search for a supplier.
But you need to remember that to sell on Walmart, you need to have a warehouse in the US that can fulfill your orders and manage your returns.
Some of our favorite places to find these suppliers are the following:
- AliExpress - AliExpress is where we usually go to source our dropshipping products. They offer business-to-consumer purchases at reasonable prices, which makes it perfect for dropshipping.
AliExpress is a marketplace of small businesses primarily based in China. Although many also have warehouses in the US.
You can sort your results by shipping location to find suppliers that ship from the US. We then recommend contacting the supplier directly. You can ask the supplier if they can fulfill your orders in line with Walmart’s requirements.
- Doba - Doba is a dropshipping platform that integrates with Walmart. It’s a paid platform with plans that start at $24.99 per month. Tons of dropshipping products are listed on the platform. You can easily import the products to Walmart and sync your orders and inventory.
To find a supplier for Walmart on Doba, you can filter by shipping location and the marketplace you want to sell on. This allows you to easily find products that you’re allowed to sell on Walmart.
- SaleHoo - The SaleHoo directory has over 8000 pre-vetted and trusted suppliers. To access the directory, you need to join a paid plan. There is an annual plan and a lifetime plan. The annual plan costs $67 per month, and it costs $127 for lifetime access.
You can use the filters to search for a supplier based in the US. We then recommend contacting the supplier directly. You can negotiate the price and confirm they can meet your needs.
SaleHoo doesn’t integrate with Walmart. However, you can still use it to find a reliable supplier and contact your supplier whenever you receive an order on Walmart.
If you’re looking for more suppliers, check out our article with 24 of the Best Dropshipping Suppliers in the US.
3. Sign Up for Walmart Marketplace and Fulfill Orders
There are two options for order fulfillment.
- Manually manage and fulfill each order.
- Connect Walmart with your Shopify store
Both options require you to sign up to Walmart Marketplace.
Sign Up for Walmart Marketplace
Before you sign up, you need to ensure you meet Walmart Marketplace’s selling criteria. This includes the following:
- A US Tax ID number (TIN), Business Licence Number, or be incorporated in Canada
- Documents to confirm your business name and address
- Previous selling history
- Ensure Walmart doesn’t prohibit the sale of your products
- Products that have GTIN/UPC GS1 Company Prefix Numbers
- A B2C US warehouse with returns capability
Visit Walmart’s Marketplace and click Join Marketplace.
You’ll need to enter your name, business name, email, and phone number and create a password.
When you click Create My Account, you’ll be presented with terms and conditions. You then need to agree to the terms and conditions.
Walmart will review your application, and once you’ve been accepted, you’ll be able to create your listings and start selling.
Fulfilling Your Orders
You’ve got your Walmart Marketplace account.
You can now choose how you want to fulfill your orders. There are two options:
Connect with Shopify
Shopify allows you to import product listings to Walmart. You can also manage your Walmart orders from Shopify.
You would manage your Walmart orders like you do with your other Shopify orders. This might be done manually or using an automation tool like AutoDS or DSers.
To do this, you need to install an app to your Shopify store. We recommend using Shopify Marketplace Connect.
Manually Fulfill Orders
Without a Shopify store, you need to manually contact your supplier for every order you receive through Walmart.
You will give your supplier the order details, and they’ll send the product directly to customers.
4. Consider Running Walmart Ads - Walmart Connect
Rather than running ads on Facebook or Instagram, as you would for your own store, Walmart allows you to run ads on the marketplace. This is done through Walmart Connect.
Walmart Connect allows you to position your products in favorable places. This can help you attract customers' attention.
Which can increase your sales and boost your brand's visibility.
You can select your schedule and budget, add keywords, and assign bids to your keywords.
The ads are sold on a cost-per-click basis.
5. Analyze And Optimize Your Walmart Dropshipping Business
You’ve started making sales. It's time to see how you can increase your sales, improve your business, and maximize your profit.
We recommend looking at all aspects of your Walmart dropshipping business to see what you can improve.
This should include the following:
- Listing - Can you change the title, product details, specifications, and keywords? Can you update your product images to showcase your products better?
- Price - How does your price compare to other Walmart sellers? Is your price too high or too low? Walmart has a Repricer feature. The Repricer keeps your price competitive. You can choose one of the predefined pricing strategies or create your own strategy. Walmart then updates your price based on these to help increase your sales.
- Ads - Are you able to add more keywords, remove keywords, increase your budget, or adjust your targets to help your ads become more profitable?
- Add brand information - Walmart creates a brand profile. A brand presence can help increase customer trust, which can boost your conversion rate.
- Reviews - Positive reviews can encourage potential customers to buy from you. Walmart has the Review Accelerator Program. You can enroll and unenroll products in the Review Accelerator Program. The program encourages customers to leave reviews in exchange for a small incentive. For every review you receive, you pay a $10 fee.
How to Dropship Walmart Products
As we discussed earlier in the article, Walmart isn’t clear about whether you’re allowed to dropship its products directly to customers. The terms of service allow Walmart to refuse reseller orders. So, we won’t look at how to fulfill orders manually or retail arbitrage using Walmart products.
The only way we would recommend using Walmart as a dropshipping supplier is if you use AutoDS.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Sign up for the platform on which you want to sell Walmart products. Warning: AutoDS only works with Shopify, Facebook, Etsy, WooCommerce, eBay, Amazon, and Wix.
- Sign up for AutoDS. You must select your selling platform and join one of the paid plans.
- Visit Walmart. Use the AutoDS Chrome extension to import Walmart products to your store.
Your products will now be listed on your Shopify store. You can start running ads and marketing your products.
You can then start accepting sales.
AutoDS will automatically place the Walmart order. It will then send the products directly to your customers.
Tips For Dropshipping On Walmart
Walmart makes it easy for dropshippers to list their products. And with millions of trusted customers, it's a great place to find buyers.
However, it’s competitive. There are already tons of products available, and standing out can be difficult.
Here are a few of our top tips to help you succeed in dropshipping on Walmart.
- Use Walmart Product Research Tools to Find Winning Products - These tools uncover the sales and demand of Walmart products. This can help you find a winning product to sell on Walmart.
Top Tip: Helium 10 is the best Walmart-specific product research tool.
- Connect Your Existing Shopify Store to Walmart’s Marketplace - It’s easy to sell across different platforms if you already sell on Shopify. Shopify has Shopify Marketplace Connect. This allows you to list your Shopify products on Walmart. You can then manage all your orders within Shopify. This saves you from manually managing your orders in multiple places.
- Check Out Walmart Connect to Advertise Your Products - Walmart has a built-in ad tool, Walmart Connect. Running ads get your product in preferable positions to help increase your sales.
- Choose a Supplier with Fast Shipping - Walmart customers want fast and free shipping. Walmart claims that offering this can increase your sales.
Walmart even offers customers a fulfillment speed filter - so we know it’s important.
Find a supplier that can fulfill your customer’s orders as quickly as possible. You will also need to factor the shipping cost into your product price.
- Keep an Eye on Your Stats - Walmart strives to provide the best experience for its online shoppers. So, it requires sellers to meet specific performance standards.
Walmart rewards sellers who meet and exceed the standards. Which gives your products more visibility. This can increase sales and get you ahead of your competition.
Walmart requires you to meet the following seller performance standards:
- 90 day order defect rate <2%
- On-time shipment rate >99%
- Valid tracking rate >99%
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Walmart Allow Dropshipping?
Yes, Walmart allows you to list your dropshipping products on its marketplace.
And if you want to sell Walmart products, you can use Walmart as a supplier using a tool like AutoDS. Alternatively, you could use retail arbitrage. This is when you buy and resell products.
Which Website Is Best For Dropshipping?
Shopify is always our preference for dropshipping.
It’s simple to create and manage your own dropshipping store.
It also connects with various dropshipping tools. This means you can easily list on marketplaces (like Amazon, Walmart, eBay, etc). As well as automate your entire business.
Can I Sell On Walmart Through Shopify?
Yes. Shopify has an app, Shopify Marketplace Connect. This allows you to list your Shopify products on Walmart. You can then manage your orders within Shopify.
Can I Sell Walmart Items On Shopify?
Yes, it’s possible.
We don’t recommend doing so manually as there are some discrepancies as to whether it’s allowed.
But AutoDS has Walmart as a supplier, which allows you to sell Walmart products on your Shopify store.
Hopefully, this article has given you an insight into whether dropshipping with Walmart is right for you.
As we’ve seen, you need an existing sales history to sell on Walmart, so we recommend starting a Shopify store first.
If you want help finding winning products to sell on your Shopify store, check out Dropship’s 7-day free trial.